Ferdi features a Dark Mode for the general interface and your services.
Services can have three different kinds of Dark Mode:
- Build-in Dark Mode If the service already supports Dark Mode (e.g. Reddit) and if Ferdi is optimized to work with that, Ferdi will automatically turn on and off dark mode based on your settings.
- Custom Dark Mode If the service doesn't support Dark Mode but Ferdi has custom Dark Mode styles for the service, Ferdi will add those to the page. This will result in the service having an optimized Dark Mode without the service having to support it.
- Universal Dark Mode If none of the options above exist, Ferdi will try to use a "Universal Dark Mode" using the Darkreader extension. This Dark Mode may not be fully optimized and may contain some errors as Ferdi can only try to create the Dark Mode as good as possible.
This way, all services support Dark Mode but some may achieve better results than others.
Setting up Dark Mode
As Dark Mode can be very tailored to your needs, there are different settings in different places that you can customize:
- Enabling Ferdi's Dark Mode Go to the settings using the cog in the bottom left corner, then, under "Appearance", enable "Enable Dark Mode":
- Enabling universal Dark Mode You can optionally enable or disable "Universal Dark Mode" (see the description above):
- Sync with your System's Dark Mode If you are on an Operating System that supports Dark Mode, you can sync Ferdi's Dark Mode to your system-wide Dark Mode setting. To do this, activate "Synchronize dark mode with my OS's dark mode setting":
- Enable or disable Dark Mode on a per-service basis You can choose whether you want to enable Dark Mode on a per-service basis. For this, in the settings, choose "Your services" in the sidebar
Choose one of the services and enable or disable "Enable Dark Mode" under the "General" section.
- Customise universal Dark Mode (DarkReader) on a per-service basis The universal Dark Mode can be tailored to each individual service, so it looks the best in dark mode. For this, in the settings, choose "Your services" in the sidebar
Choose one of the services and customise all settings using the sliders under the "Dark Reader settings" section.